Home] [About Us] [Covenants] [Meetings] [Minutes] [News] [Officers and Directors] [Map] [Public Positions] [FAQ]
Minutes of the General Membership Meeting of the Westmoreland Association
March 22, 2010
The meeting was called to order at 8:00 P.M. by President Walter Mugdan. A
motion was made, seconded and unanimously adopted to waive reading of the
minutes. (Mr. Mugdan noted that the minutes were available for review on the
Westmoreland website.). Treasurer Gary Savage gave the Treasurer’s Report
indicating that the balance-on-hand was $16,579.22 as of March 22, 2010. A
motion was made to accept the Treasurer’s report. The motion was seconded and
the report was unanimously approved.
The Westmoreland Association meeting was held jointly with the Little Neck Pines homeowners association to meet with newly elected City Councilman Dan Halloran. Bob Nobile, president of the Pines Association was presiding along with Walter Mugdan.
Councilman Halloran made a speech that covered issues from his perspective and then answered questions from the audience. Some points that he made:
1. New York City is facing a $4-7 billion deficit this year.
2. There will be additional cuts in state aid.
3. State Senator Padavan is facing a 2/3 cut in discretionary funds.
4. The city budget is in three parts
a. 1/3 debt service – which cannot be cut
b. 1/3 revenue from the Federal government – which faces cuts
c. The last third is the rest of our expenses, 89% of which covers civil service pensions. That leaves $12 Billion from which the gap will have to be filled.
5. Taxes are gathered from three sources:
a. 28% Federal
b. 12-18% State
c. 30-50% City
6. Property Taxes are 47% of the city’s income.
Halloran’s immediate goals include dealing with the budget crisis and to continue to improve the city’s citizen’s quality of life.
Questions from the public included:
• The use of non-English signs by some merchants
• Can there be a way to merge civic efforts with both merchant associations and civic groups?
• To follow-up on the quiet zone by the Long Island Railroad crossing in Little Neck. It is due to be completed by October this year.
• Flashing neon signs in residential areas
• Posting of signs on telephone poles.
• Department of Buildings – have a reputation for not enforcing the rules.
Election of Officers and Members of the Board of Directors – Candidates were presented and elected:
President – Walter Mugdan
Vice President – Sheldon Rosenblum
Treasurer – Gary Savage
Secretary – Charles Manna
• David Diaz
• Victor Dadras
• Tom Lloyd
• Peter Reinharz
• Robert Timmerman
• Philip Toscano
In memoriam – the Association remembers Kathleen Beckett, long-time Board member, who passed last Fall. She was an attorney who successfully argued the appeal in the Association’s lawsuit against West Cutter Estates in the early 1990s.
There is still a concern with graffiti. It is occurring neat the McDonalds building in Little Neck.
There is a problem with garbage clogging the drains during heavy rains on Northern Blvd.
Our meetings during 2010 will be held on May 17, September 20 and November 15.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:30 PM.
Charles Manna, Secretary
To view meetings schedules click here